Silver Spring, Md. (Monday, June 8, 2020) Discovery Education—the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms—today announced the launch of its new Summer of Learning initiative. Designed for all learners, the Summer of Learning initiative features a diverse collection of grab-and-go lessons and at-home student activities and relevant, on-demand professional development for educators. Together, these resources provide educators the materials they need to keep students engaged during the summer months and also helps teachers and administrators prepare for the 2020-2021 school year, no matter what it brings.
Users of Discovery Education’s digital services can quickly find this new content here.
The engaging Summer of Learning resources designed to support students’ continued engagement in learning include:
- Student Learning Activities – Self-contained lesson activities for student exploration in a variety of subjects
- Virtual Field Trips – These resources take students outside and into some of the world’s most iconic locations
- Behind the Scenes Museum Visits – Famous art pieces from around the world come alive for young students with One Minute in a Museum, and older students can visit some of world’s most renowned museums with Janson Media’s Museum Access
- Audiobooks – A library of classic children’s stories and fairy tales, from science fiction and famous poetry like Edgar Allan Poe to Goosebumps and the Hunger Games series
- Podcasts – The short podcasts included in the Summer of Learning initiative help students build listening comprehension skills as they learn about important topics ranging from technology to history to art
- Learning at Home Channel – A collection of at-home resources that help students follow their interests, sharpen skills, and have fun
Among the professional learning resources and supports for teachers and school leaders included in the Summer of Learning are:
- Professional Learning NOW – A series of professional learning opportunities for educators that are short, convenient, and relevant to remote learning
- Instructional Inspiration – A curated selection of over 1,000 grab-and-go lesson activities
- SOS Instructional Strategies – A compendium of research-based strategies for integrating Discovery Education’s digital curriculum resources into instruction in meaningful ways
- Events – A series of special events including the Equity Talks Series, which features the nation’s top education leaders discussing how to ensure underserved students are given the opportunity to succeed
- Instructional Leaders Channel – A host of inspirational and empowering resources for school leaders
Discovery Education will continue adding new resources to the Summer of Learning in the coming weeks.
“While I am uncertain as to what the coming school year will look like, I do know my students and I will be better prepared if I continue my personal, professional development and connect my students to engaging educational opportunities over the Summer,” said Abigail Schiferl, an educator in South Carolina’s Greenville County Schools. “Discovery Education’s Summer of Learning resources are setting my class and me up for future success, and I look forward to using the wide variety of resources all summer long.”
“Since our initial response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Discovery Education has sought to keep students and teachers connected to the resources and professional learning they need to maintain the continuity of learning,” said Scott Kinney, Discovery Education’s President of K-12 Education. “Our new Summer of Learning initiative continues this effort by providing students and teachers the digital resources they need to prepare for success in the coming school year and beyond.”
For more information about Discovery Education’s digital resources and professional learning services, visit www.discoveryeducation.com, and stay connected with Discovery Education on social media through Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @DiscoveryEd, or find us on Instagram and Pinterest.