Content Recently Added to Digital Services Boost Teachers’ Ability to Engage Students in Math, Science, Social Studies, and More
Silver Spring, MD (August 15, 2019) —To help educators welcome students back to the classroom after summer vacation, Discovery Education–the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms–has added immersive new assets to its award-winning digital services. With the new digital resources coming to Discovery Education Experience and the Math, Science, and Social Studies Techbooks, educators gain even more great resources to help them build dynamic digital learning environments. New content recently added to Discovery Education’s services include:
- All New Shark Week 2019 Content: The new school year will be JAW-some with featured programs and related instructional resources from Shark Week 2019! InExpedition Unknown: Megalodon, explorer Josh Gates and a team of paleontologists study ancient shark teeth to uncover why giant mega-sharks went extinct. In Extinct or Alive: The Lost Shark, biologists explore the Indian Ocean to find out if the rare Pondicherry shark has returned. And in “Return to Shark Island,” shark scientist Dr. Craig O’Connell examines the sudden increase of bull sharks on Achill Island. All programs are now available in Discovery Education Experience and Science Techbook.
- Step Up to the Plate: Students will explore their impact on the environment, learn about the importance of environmental stewardship, and discover how sustainability plays a role in Major League ballparks around the country in six new videos and activities developed in partnership with Major League Baseball. Now available inDiscovery Education Experience and Science Techbook, each video and activity introduces an MLB club and presents a different conservation effort including recycling, local food sourcing, water conservation, and energy efficiency. By learning how baseball teams address these important sustainability issues, students will be challenged to think about how they can make a difference in their own communities.
- Engineering and biology programs from Science Channel: More than 50 new programs from Science Channel have been added to the Discovery Education Experience and Science Techbook. Incredible Engineering Blunders: Fixed travels with journalist Justin Cunningham as he documents, and tries to fix, some of the worst engineering mistakes in history. Students can explore the danger posed by viral disease in “Invisible Killers” and consider the efforts to eradicate these threats at a global scale. And new episodes of favorite series “Outrageous Acts of Science” showcase the science that powers the Internet’s most viral videos.
- New Short-Form Videos from CheddarK-12: More than 50 original, short-form videos have been added to the collection of CheddarK-12 series available toDiscovery Education Experience and Techbook users. The short-form content explores, examines, and explains answers to questions teachers and students may be curious about related to science, business, and technological innovations. Discovery Education Experience users can find all new programs in the CheddarK-12 channel.
- Investigation and Conservation Content from Animal Planet: In Jeremy Wade’s Mighty Rivers, biologist and extreme wrangler Jeremy Wade helps students usingDiscovery Education Experience and Social Studies Techbook answer questions about the health, sustainability, and hidden depths of our most important waterways, including the Amazon, the Ganges, the Yangtze, the Mississippi, the Danube, and the Zambezi.
- History Content from American Heroes Channel: Through Tuskegee Airmen: Heroes of World War II, former pilots from the famed African American unit share their stories of flying some of the most dangerous missions of the Second World War. This content, also added to Discovery Education Experience and Social Studies Techbook,helps students understand the contributions of these brave airmen and puts their tremendous stories into context for today’s students.
- Math Videos and Interactives Now Available in Spanish: Math Techbook andDiscovery Education Experience users now have access to more than 50 core-concept video clips and interactives in Spanish. The programs cover such topics as functions, Pythagorean theorem, similarity and congruence, and probability. Students will apply their math knowledge to solve real-world problems from biologists, urban planners, and emergency rescue teams.
Users of Discovery Education’s digital services can quickly find this new content here.
“Just as students are preparing to return to the classroom, I’m preparing new lessons that will engage my teachers in learning and trigger their sense of curiosity about the wealth of Discovery Education resources,” said Darlene Petranick, Elementary Science Specialist, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools. “The new content coming to Discovery Education’s services could not come at a better time, and I am excited to begin to use them in my district.”
In addition to the new content recently added to Discovery Education’s services, more is on the way. Coming soon, a new Conservation channel for Discovery Education Experienceusers will inspire students to take informed action on large-scale issues impacting our planet. The channel will feature videos and images directly from World Wildlife Fund’s vast collection, offering students and educators an inside look at WWF’s efforts to support conservation along six goals: climate, food, freshwater, forests, oceans, and wildlife.
“Discovery Education sends along its best wishes to educators and students everywhere for a great school year. To help teachers make classroom instruction as impactful as possible this year, we’ve added exciting new content to all our digital services that will immerse students of all ages in teaching and learning,” said Discovery Education Chief Product Officer Pete Weir. “This effort is part of our ongoing effort to make sure our services and content continue to evolve and meet the changing needs of students worldwide.”
For more information about Discovery Education’s digital curriculum, content services, and professional learning opportunities, visit www.discoveryeducation.com, and stay connected with Discovery Education on social media through Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @DiscoveryEd, or find us on Instagram and Pinterest.
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms. Through its award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia resources, and the largest professional learning network of its kind, Discovery Education is transforming teaching and learning, creating immersive STEM experiences, and improving academic achievement around the globe. Discovery Education’s services are available in approximately half of U.S. classrooms and primary schools in the U.K. and reach over 5 million educators and 51 million students in more than 90 countries. Inspired by the global media company Discovery, Inc., Discovery Education partners with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to empower teachers with customized solutions that support the success of all learners. Explore the future of education at www.DiscoveryEducation.com.
Phone: (240) 463-2894